Saturday, October 11, 2008

On my way to Cheltenham

 

This week has been so busy getting last minute things sorted for the Cheltenham exhibition. I am so excited about returning to the place where my Art College days were full of adventure, exploration, fun and hard work. We all shared the same passion for our subject and never once resented the long days spent together in the studios. I have so many happy memories of the various flats I shared, jumble sale wardrobes, my old bike and nights spent in The Cotswold Pub. Next week I will get the opportunity to meet up with lots of friends from that era that I haven't seen for years and meet many more new ones, I can't wait.

Yesterday I picked up a collection of eight pieces from the framers, I never fail to get a thrill when I see my work completed and ready to hang. It is rather like seeing your children dressed up in their first school uniform ready to set off to school on that first day. A mixture of pride and a little bit of separation anxiety knowing that they will be off to their new homes before long. I get very attached to my paintings as you can tell,  all my thoughts, energies  and emotions are combined in every one of my pieces so I suppose it is understandable.

So after lots of running around, packing and re packing, I felt the need to chill a bit and often the best way is to settle in the studio with some moody music and let the colours sooth me. I often find on these occasions that I am not aware of what I am painting until I look at the finished thing. Funny, it is always water that I return to, that must be my Pisces character talking.

'Velvet Waters 1 Velvet Waters' happened yesterday.

No comments: